WordPress Shortcodes – My Way

As anyone whose work in WordPress whose tried to create their own shortcodes knows, it can be a nuisance. Trying to come up with unique names for the shortcodes so as not to cause conflicts, supporting nested shortcodes, etc., etc. It can be a challenge.

Instead of using functions, however, I’ve started using enclosures and classes. Such a class itself registers shortcodes which it can have embedded. And to overcome the actual shortcode tag itself conflicting – I’ve found you can “namespace” those, too. Here’s an actual example:

So, what we have here is a shortcode “sunsport:tiles:start” which creates an instance of our class. That instantiation registers a new shortcode “sunsport:tiles:create”, which would be unavailable otherwise, thus we avoid have to check to make sure it’s properly enclosed in a parent “start” shortcode, and we gracefully deregister it at the end of the run.

It’s probably worth include the “fragments/tiles/start.php” file just for reference:

And here’s the actual usage:

There’s is one word of warning – do not do a naming convension like this:

  • parent shortcode – sunsport:tiles
    • child shortcode – sunsport:tiles:create

The child shortcode will never fire. For some reason, it seems WordPress doesn’t actually read in the full shortcode in this scenario – instead of “sunsport:tiles:create” firing, WordPress will simple re-run “sunsport:tiles”.

That caveat aside, I find this feels a lot cleaner and less collision-prone than other examples I’ve seen.

Lithium Problem on Rackspace

Today I came across a situation where I was deploying a PHP-based webapp written in Lithium and running on a Rackspace cloud site. In my scenario, I noticed 2 symptoms (appearing differently, but having the same cause).

  1. if the Lithium app is a subdirectory of another webapp (in my example, the main site is WordPress), you will always get a WordPress “Oops! The page you are looking for does not exist.” error.
  2. if the Lithium app is in the root, you will get an “Internal Server Error” page.

As it turns out, the problem is the .htaccess file included with Lithium.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the .htaccess per se, but under Rackspace you seem to have to include the “RewriteBase” directive.

So, as a result, you must edit all 3 .htaccess files in your Lithium project thus:

  • /.htaccess – RewriteBase /
  • /app/.htaccess – RewriteBase /app/
  • /app/webroot/.htaccess – RewriteBase /app/webroot/

If your webapp is a subdirectory, this subdirectory name will need to prepended to RewriteBase path:

  • /.htaccess – RewriteBase /subdir/
  • /app/.htaccess – RewriteBase /subdir/app/
  • /app/webroot/.htaccess – RewriteBase /subdir/app/webroot/

And presto, it now magically works!